Palmer Ridge Football Brings Home State Runner Up

The Palmer Ridge Football Team had a perfect football season going 13-0

On Saturday December 2nd, the Palmer Ridge Bears made it to the State Championship. After an amazing season for the football team, the Bears became the state runner-up.

The Game

The 4A and 5A football state championships this year were held at Colorado State University’s brand new stadium, Canvas stadium. In total, the stadium can hold 41,000 people and cost approximately $220 Million to be constructed. The nerves and excitement from the crowd, players, and coaches was immense. During the first half, the Bears fought hard with Tigers, but unfortunately left the field down 13-0. They came back on the field with intensity as Derek Hester threw a 30- Yard Touchdown Pass to Jimmer Weir. After ending the game 6-20, Palmer Ridge left the game 13-1, a tied record with Erie, and earning 149 passing yards, and 134 rushing yards. The game was back and fourth although the final score didn’t show it. During the second quarter, Erie’s quarterback made a rushing touchdown, and immediately after the Bears were in their offensive red zone. Unfortunately, the play got intercepted and became Erie’s ball and they were close to scoring, but Holden Wright and TJ Mabe completed important sacks to keep the Tigers out of range of another touchdown. Erie attempted a field goal, but was blocked. After half time, Erie got another chance at a field goal but were blocked again. In the third quarter both teams were constantly moving down the field, but there were two ‘Personal-Fouls’, a timeout, and a ‘False-Start’ to delay Palmer Ridge. In the fourth quarter, the bears quickly made their way down the field and completed a 30 yard touchdown pass. The game ended 6-20.

Last season, the Bears completed a similar run state but were knocked out of Semifinals by Loveland. Owen Miranowski, a senior on the football team this year, said that the team has built off the pace they ended at last year. Being a senior and ending a dominant high school football career with a Championship appearance, Semifinal appearance, a Quarter final appearance, he said the highlight of his senior season was getting closer to the guys he already had connections with and being able to celebrate a great season with them. Being a student-athlete at times can be a struggle, balancing trying to become a state championship while trying to get the best grade on your final can seem trying. “I stay focused and motivated by looking to my right and left while I’m on the field and being like ‘Hey, my brother is gonna give me 110%, I better give him the same thing’” said Owen about what keeps him motivated during the season. 

The Palmer Ridge Football Team is familiar with state championships and playoffs, they have previously won 3 state championships. This season, the Bears have a new Head Coach, Zach Carlton. For the previous two seasons, Mike Armentrout was the head coach, having a 22-3 record, he stepped away and gave the position to his defensive coordinator. after the game, Zach Carlton was asked about the result and he said, ” They’ve done everything that we’ve asked for this season,” from the Denver Post, “They bought into everything that we wanted them to buy into, and I just really feel for those guys that we couldn’t finish the job today.”

Although the Bears weren’t looking to win State Runner-Up and Instead, State Champion, the community and school is proud of them and the hard work they have done to achieve State Runner-Up.