The Weir Brothers: The Heart and Soul of the Palmer Ridge Boys Basketball Team

Since Palmer Ridge’s first basketball season in 2008, there have been numerous families who have sent brothers through the program. Out of all the brothers who have played for head coach Nick Mayer at Palmer Ridge, there have only been three sets of brothers who have played on the varsity team in the same season. Eric and Tim Marty played together in the 2011-2012 season, the Cameron brothers Matthew and Edmund, playing together from 2012 to 2014, and, this year, the Weir brothers Luke (12) and Jimmer (10) are the newest pair of brothers to take the court together in a Palmer Ridge uniform.

As a senior, Luke is enjoying his third year on varsity. With a playstyle comparable to the Energizer Bunny, Luke is one of those guys who you hate to play against but love to play with. On the defensive end, Luke is the loudest in the gym. Not only is he loud, but he is more than willing to sacrifice his body for the team. Whether he is diving at loose balls or taking a charge, Luke is always going to make a play. Offensively, he has a little more touch. While his hectic playstyle never stops, Luke has turned into one of the better three point shooters on the team. With a shooting form reminiscent of Larry Bird, Luke is shooting 39% from deep this season.

Luke Weir, #33, poses with the other seniors on the team after a win against Discovery Canyon High School. Luke shot 2/4 from the three point line, racking up 6 points and 2 steals in the 24 point win. All pictures provided by Luke and Jimmer Weir.

As the boys grew up in a family of Birmingham Young University fans, it was hard not to be a Jimmer Fredette fan. From 2007 to 2011, Jimmer Fredette was one of the best players in college basketball, averaging 28.9 points a game his senior year at BYU. His playstyle was electric as the undersized guard had the ability to pull up from anywhere on the court, hitting three point shots from 30 feet out.

Obviously, this put a lot of pressure on the younger Weir brother. When you go by the same name as one of the greatest BYU basketball players of all time, you have to live up to the hype. Luckily, Jimmer is as cool as the other side of the pillow. Ever since he first stepped on a basketball court, Jimmer has been one of the best players on the floor. As a sophomore, Jimmer took on a huge varsity role. Jimmer is fourth on the team in points per game, second in rebounds per game, and second in assists per game. In the last game of the regular season, Jimmer surpassed the Palmer Ridge boys basketball record for steals in a single season with his 47th steal of the season against Fountain-Fort Carson. However, statistics couldn’t mean less to Jimmer. As a stone-faced killer on the court, Jimmer’s only goal is getting a win.

Jimmer Weir, #15, celebrates with his teammate after a first round playoff win against the Denver North Vikings in the 2022 4A Boys Basketball State Tournament. The Bears won 55-48, Jimmer scoring 6 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals. All pictures provided by Luke and Jimmer Weir.

While this might be the first time that the Weir brothers have played together at Palmer Ridge, this is not the first time the brothers have teamed up. Back in elementary school, Jimmer and Luke were busy beating teams in the Tri-Lakes YMCA flag football league. Similarly to the basketball court, Jimmer was the one throwing passes while Luke was catching and scoring. “I mean, there’s a special connection. Jimmer’s throwing passes left and right to me and I am always there,” Luke said.

This year has definitely helped the brothers become closer. However, they are not the only ones to become closer due to their presence on the team. As a senior and sophomore duo, they have been able to create more interaction between the upperclassmen and underclassmen on the team.

“I feel like with past teams, there has been a little bit of division. But with this varsity team, everyone is able to enjoy each other’s company,” Luke said.

“It’s cool because I am friends with all the underclassmen on the team while Luke is friends with all the upperclassmen. We are all able to intertwine and compete,” Jimmer added.

While the two are more than entertaining during a game, they put on just as much of a show off the court. I had to take the opportunity to ask the brothers some more fun questions. In a joint interview, their sibling rivalry and shared humor made the interview quite the experience.

With every question, an argument full of brotherly insults and plenty of laughter ensued. When asked who was funnier, the two argued that they have never laughed at anything the other brother has said. When asked about their favorite moments outside of high school, Luke recalled a young Jimmer trying to eat rocks while Jimmer brought up the time Luke hit Jimmer in the head with an XBOX controller. Unfortunately, there was one problem with Jimmer’s memory… Luke was not the controller-slinging culprit. It was Carson, the eldest child in the Weir family. Maybe Jimmer got hit harder in the head with he controller than he originally thought.

Over the course of the interview, the brothers argued about who has the better singing voice as well who is the more responsible brother of the two. They reminisced about their favorite catch phrases and sayings, Luke’s catchphrase being, “Work hard, play hard, I am hard.”

They argued over who is the “favorite child” in the family before finally deciding that their older brother, Carson, was indeed the favorite. The two argued over who will be more successful when they grow up, even comparing grades and troublesome moments to prove their points. For a few minutes, each brother shared how they would beat each other if they were put into an official twelve-round boxing match. They continued to debate all types of things; from racing school buses and comparing outfits to analyzing who is more of a lady’s man, this was the longest, most fun interview I have ever conducted.

All in all, the Weir brothers are going to be the center of attention no matter where they go. Whether they are performing on the court or just having an everyday conversation, people will want to see or hear what the boys are up to.

The Bears pose with the Windsor Wizard after the biggest state tournament upset in program history. The Bears won 71-62, advancing to the sweet sixteen for the second time in program history. All pictures provided by Luke and Jimmer Weir.

After the 2021-2022 Colorado boys basketball regular season concluded on February 19, the CHSAA seeding index ranked the sixty-six teams in Colorado’s 4A class. By using a combination of statistical rankings and polls, CHSAA had picked the forty-eight teams that will compete in Colorado’s 4A Boys Basketball State Tournament. These forty-eight teams are then seeded from best to worst, the one seed being the best while the forty-eighth seed is the worst. After the seeding is finished, the seeding is used to create a bracket. The bracket contains six rounds: the round of forty-eight, the round of thirty-two, the sweet sixteen, the elite eight, the final four, and the state championship. 

With this algorithm, the Bears were ranked as the twenty-fifth seed, rewarding them with their first home game since the 2017-2018 season. They faced the fortieth seed Denver North Vikings, a team led by sophomore guard, Jacob Giron, and two seniors, Thompson Lane and Keith McInnis. This three-headed monster of scorers averaged a combined 39.1 points per game. Needless to say, this was going to be a challenge for the Weir brothers and the Bears.

While the Bears were still heavily favored in the matchup, they struggled early in first quarter. After zero points were scored by the starters, the bench subbed in. As a spark off the bench, Luke nailed a three pointer and a floater, scoring the first five points of the game for the Bears. Luke then proceeded to cause two turnovers by taking two charges, gaining much needed momentum for the home team. Once Jimmer subbed back in, he assisted a buzzer beating corner three at the end of the quarter. The Bears were back on track for the rest of the game, winning 55-48. This marked the program’s first playoff win in four years, sending the Bears to face the eighth seeded Windsor Wizards in the round of thirty-two.

After escaping a challenging opponent in Denver North, the 16-7 Wizards were not going to be any easier. Not only was Windsor a good team, but they were led by their junior sensation, David Hageman, who averaged 18.6 points per game this season. If the Bears were able to pull off the biggest upset in program history, they would head to the sweet sixteen for the second time in the program’s existence.

In the most important game of the Bears season, the game did not disappoint. In the thirty-two minutes of regulation, the game went back and forth. Luckily for the fans in attendance, they were treated to four extra minutes of basketball as the game went to overtime with a score of 56-56. After a quick foul on the Wizards, the Bears went up two points, gaining the advantage for the rest of the extra period. After some much needed defensive stops, the Bears were able to knock down some crucial free throws the ensure their place in the sweet sixteen. The Bears ended up winning 71-62, led by a season high 21 points from Jimmer Weir. With this win, the Bears officially pulled off the biggest upset in the program’s history.

The Bears ended up facing the ninth seed Longmont Trojans in the sweet sixteen. After a tough first half of basketball, Palmer Ridge found themselves up four points, hopeful to advance to the elite eight for the first time in program history. Unfortunately, the Bears’ Cinderella story was cut short as Longmont’s Cole Corner knocked won four three point buckets in the third quarter. The Bears ended up losing 58-48. While the Bears’ season did not end how they wanted it to, their fantastic effort and unexpected deep playoff run was more than felt by the Palmer Ridge community.

As a senior, Luke wrapped up his high school basketball career as the most energetic player Palmer Ridge has ever seen. Luckily for Jimmer, he will most likely enjoy two more years of varsity basketball as the starting point guard for the Bears. While this will not be the last time the Weir brothers will share the court in their lifetime, it was the last time they will team have teamed up in a Palmer Ridge uniform. It was quite the luxury for all of those who were able to play with, spectate, coach, or play against this pair of brothers.