Boulder Bound: Welcome to Family Weekend

Photo by Mallory Sale

Street Art in Boulder

October 14th through 17th was Colorado University Boulder’s “Family Weekend,” where students’ families could visit the campus to say hello and learn about the going-ons at Boulder. Bear Truth reporter Mallory Sale took a look at what Boulder had to offer, including the campus, sports, and food! How is the football team doing? What is the social scene like? Does their pizza meet expectations?

Billboard outside Boulder.

Check-in for families was on Friday, October 15th, giving each member a transparent “game day,” bag, T-shirts, and a bunch of CU swag. The shirts have “Buffs Family” on the front and “‘Sko Buffs” on the back. Students and parents were required to wear masks indoors, so a few different Buffs themed masks were given out at Check-in.

After check-in, a new Boulder tradition was introduced: Coffee with a Cop. Anyone on campus can go to the table outside the student center and have a cup of coffee and a donut for free provided by the Boulder Police Department. This is available once a month or more on the Boulder campus, and students seem to love it!

Students converse with CU Boulder Police Officers on Friday Morning

Families were then brought on a tour of the campus library, where they got to see where students study, read, or chill out on a rainy day. Many art pieces are installed in the library and students have access to over 7.5 million books, including rare and archival volumes.

Game Day!

The Folsom Field Stadium cleans up after the football game!

The annual Family Weekend tailgate took place before the game and both UC Alumni and Families of current students were invited. Food, drinks, and fun were provided for all, and afterward, the CU Buffs football team took on the University of Arizona. With Arizona scoring at 0-5 wins and Colorado at 1-4 for the season, there were not many expectations for the game.

On Saturday, the Folsom Field hosted the CU Buffs v. University of Arizona with 49,806 fans in the stadium. While both teams are low on the ratings for PAC-12, the stadium was sold out for Family Weekend. During First Quarter, CO scored first with a field goal for 3 points. The quarter ended 3-0. CO got another field goal for a score of 6-0.

The 1st half ended 6-0 with Colorado in the lead. Colorado scored the first touchdown of the game and Cole Becker scored an extra point in a field goal. Another touchdown was made for Colorado by Brendan Rice alongside Becker’s field goal. CU was 27 and Arizona was still 0 by the end of the 3rd quarter. With 4 and a half minutes left in the game, CU gained another touchdown, giving CU 34 and Arizona nothing.

CU Marching Band during half-time

CU has played against Arizona 2 times before for Family Weekend, in both 2017 and 2019, but lost both times with a 42-46 and 30-35 respectively. The last time Colorado played against Arizona in December of 2020 however, they won 24-13. Arizona started the game with a losing streak of 17 and finished with 18.

Denver Dives

Downtown Denver Skyline

One perk of going to University of Colorado at Boulder is the proximity to the city. While Denver is about an hour away from Palmer Ridge, it’s about half that from CU. Students often visit Denver for weekend fun and food. One thing definitely recommended for anyone who happens to visit Denver is the Cart-Driver restaurant in the River North (RiNo) District. Known for its amazing pizza and oysters, the industrial-style cafĂ© is first-come, first-serve seating with both indoor and outdoor options.

Cart-Driver Restaurant in RiNo District, Denver

As many students will tell you, Boulder is a great place, but there are a lot more things to do in its neighboring city. If you end up going to CU, Denver is a great place to have a home away from home. If you enjoy art, Boulder and Denver are a great place to be. Both cities are full of beautiful street art and give great opportunities for artists to create!

Although Boulder seems close to home, it is like a completely new world! I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the University of Colorado at Boulder, and I think many Palmer Ridge students will too. Good luck to all seniors applying!