Palmer Ridge’s Week of Valentunes

Photo by Mallory Sale

The talented choir gifts a valentune to a student in the cafeteria.

COVID-19 has canceled dances, graduations, and even proms across the nation. However, the PRHS Choir department was determined to bring the joy of Valentine’s Day to students. This came in the form of a valentune: a message delivered in the form of a song and a flower. Whether it be to a friend or a significant other, valentunes are a great way to show your appreciation for someone.

This year, students were given the choices of three songs and the period or lunch in which they would like the recipient to be sung to. The most popular song among them seemed to be “Lean on Me” by Bill Withers.

Although singers were insistent on keeping up with valentunes this year, there were some necessary changes that had to be made.”…[there are] certain classrooms we’re not allowed to go in… so we have to stand outside. This means that we’re going to have to project a lot,” said Mackenzie Roehrig (12), a choir student. Choir singers were also required to wear masks while singing, which made it a difficult feat to project their voices.

The fact that we’re getting as many sales as last year… gives me hope for other clubs trying to raise money…”

– Mackenzie roehrig (12)

While valentunes were very popular this year, they weren’t always a staple of the PRHS Valentine’s Day tradition. ” … Dr. B[rilleslyper] is a new choir teacher… Last year she started picking up valentunes again and gave it a new life. So, this year people are starting to appreciate them a lot more than they had,” said Roehrig.

Blake with his valentune flowers.

A student who is all too familiar with valentunes this year is Lukas Blake (12). “… A group of friends thought it’d be funny to buy me a ton of [Valentunes]. I’ve had five so far…” said Blake. And of course, a bombardment of songs from friends is a great way to spend Valentine’s Day. The choir department did a phenomenal job in delivering the essence of love this week to Palmer Ridge.