PRHS Alumnus Lain Roy Performs on NBC’s “The Voice”

Photo by From Lain Roy's Instagram

Lain Roy finishes his performance of “Someone You Love”

By Luxe Palmer, Co-Editor-in-Chief

**WARNING: Spoiler Alert for The Voice, Season 19**

Colorado doesn’t get much recognition on national television, not to mention our tiny Tri-Lakes area. Nevertheless, Larkspur native and PRHS alumnus Lain Roy, 22, made headlines with his audition on NBC’s The Voice.

In the fourth audition episode of Season 19, Lain Roy shocked judges with his performance of Lewis Capaldi’s “Someone You Love.” Judges John Legend and Gwen Stefani both turned their chairs for Roy, whom he then had to choose between in regards to who would be his coach on this season. After much deliberation and humorous banter, Roy chose Gwen Stefani as his coach.

Roy first discovered his love for singing and music through his mom, Trixie Terri, a musical alumni herself. Terri was a touring musician in the ’80s, performing on the talent show You Can Be a Star.

Roy’s very first public performance came in the form of Palmer Ridge’s talent show, where his singing abilities earned him first place. He also played the saxophone and sang in the PRHS Wind Ensemble and Jazz bands. Roy auditioned and was selected for a spot in the Colorado Springs All-City Band, and as an alternate for the All-State Band. He then continued to pursue music after high school, attending Berklee College of Music in Boston and graduating with a degree in music from Belmont University in Nashville, where he now resides.

In an interview with Roy’s former band director, Mr Butch Eversole, Eversole stated, “Lain is obviously a wonderful musician, but he is an equally wonderful person. He is always incredibly humble and respectful to everyone. When he left the room after every class, he would always be sure to say, ‘Thank you, Mr E.’ It was easy to see those same characteristics from him as interacted with the judges on The Voice. What we saw on that show is genuine.”

Lain always worked hard to do his best, whether artistically, athletically, or academically.  I’ve watched his Blind Audition on The Voice several times, and every time my eyes well up a bit.  He really did an incredible job and I couldn’t be more proud of him.

Butch Eversole, PRHS Band Director

Sadly, during the first round of Battles (in which two contestants from the same team duet a song together, and their coach chooses one contestant to eliminate), Lain Roy was eliminated. He sang Harry Styles’ “Adore You” alongside Chloé Hogan.

PRHS is so proud of Lain for making it onto the show! We are excited to watch what is next for his musical career.