The Tenth Girl

By Madissyn Moore, Reporter

I decided to take on the challenge of reading one book a month and giving feedback on it as I read. This month I decided to read The Tenth Girl by Sara Faring. This book falls into the category of fantasy, but in my opinion, it’s also a thriller. I put in the synopsis of the book below so that you can see why I think it’s a thriller.

“At the very southern tip of South America looms an isolated finishing school. Legend has it that the land will curse those who settle here. But for Maviー a bold Buenos Aires native fleeing the military regime that took her motherーit offers an escape to a new life as a young teacher to daughters of Argentina’s elite. 

Mavi tries to embrace the strangeness of the imposing houseー despite warnings not to roam at night, threats from an enigmatic young man, and rumors of mysterious Others. But when students and teachers alike begin to behave as if possessed, the forces haunting this unholy cliff will no longer be ignored … and one of these spirits holds a secret that could unravel Mavi’s existence.”  

Did you all get thriller vibes from that? 

I usually don’t read books like this, with ghosts and all the things that go bump in the night, but it has turned out to be a pretty interesting book. Although, it’s confusing as to how a ghost from 2020 ends up in the year 1978. The main characters, Mavi and Angel, are very intriguing. Both come from troubled pasts. 

I love the vast use of vocabulary that I’ve seen so far. I am currently a bit less than halfway through the book, and the chapters are a bit long. The chapters don’t always leave you wanting more, which has been the only downside for me. I love reading a good book that no matter how busy I get, I will still find time to read it, but that has not been how I’ve felt with this book. 

Maybe that will change as I continue reading. Hopefully, I can get through it before the end of this month. My overall opinion so far is that it’s a good book with an interesting storyline and setting.

If there are any books you would recommend me to read please comment them below.