CHSAA Releases 2020-2021 Athletics and Activities Schedule

Photo by Amber Wright

By Amber Wright, Co-Editor-in-Chief

After months of working with multiple health committees and government agencies, the Colorado High School Activities Association has announced its 2020-2021 athletics and activities calendar. Dates and plans for non-athletic sports are still in the works.

CHSAA received a final response on the plan it submitted to Colorado’s COVID response team from Governor Jared Polis on Tuesday, August 4. CHSAA released the sports schedule the same day on its website.

Due to the on-going global pandemic, the upcoming sports season will be played with a modified sports schedule. There will be four separate sports seasons during the school year: A, B, C, and D, with season D ending in late June. Contact sports are to be played during the later seasons as a result of the current restrictive state guidelines.

Each season is about seven weeks from start to finish, with the postseason of each sport also being shortened, including the number of state qualifiers. Sports will have their normal season competition limits lowered.

The 2020 fall sports will commence as they were originally scheduled. Boy’s golf started to practice on August 3, softball and boys tennis will begin on August 10, and cross country will start on August 12. These sports make up Season A of the modified sports calendar, and they will be concluded by October 17.

The following traditional fall sports cannot be played considering current state health guidelines: football, boys soccer, field hockey, gymnastics, spirit, unified bowling, and girls volleyball. These sports have been moved to a later season.

There will be a large gap between Season A and Season B, from Oct. 18, 2020 to January 3, 2021, in which athletics will not take place. This modification is a result of data from the state that anticipates a resurgence of COVID-19 cases in the late fall.

Season B, which will begin on January 4 and end by March 6, includes the following sports: basketball, ice hockey, skiing, spirit, girls swimming, and wrestling. In a text to his team, Coach Boyer, the girl’s basketball coach at Palmer Ridge, said in response to the delayed seasons, “This also means we’ve still got a lot of time to get better.”

Sports in Season C include field hockey, football, gymnastics, boys soccer, unified bowling, and girls volleyball. Season C begins on March 1 and concludes with championships by May 1. Football will begin practice on February 22 and end on May 8 as a result of the safety rules and specific equipment around football.

The 2020-2021 sports calendar will conclude with Season D. The sports in Season D include baseball, girls tennis, boys swimming, girls golf, boys and girls lacrosse, girls soccer, track and field, and boys volleyball. Practices will begin on April 26, and the season will end with the final championship on June 26.

Practice requirements, specific sports modifications, and game requirements will be communicated by CHSAA later in the day on August 6.

“The resumption of all activities and athletics are subject to change based upon any changes to national, state or local guidelines related to COVID-19. Sport-specific details will be communicated by Thursday.” Quote from the CHSAA now website. To view the athletics and activities calendar, click here.