Caroline Bushnell Elected Vice President of International Key Club

By Luxe Palmer, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Last week, PRHS student Caroline Bushnell (12) received the honor of being elected Vice President of the International Key Club. “Key Club International is the world’s largest student-led community service organization. We have about 250,000 members worldwide, who all work to better their homes, schools, and communities,” said Bushnell. She has been a part of the PRHS Key Club and DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) teams during her years in high school, as well as participating in Speech and Debate, in which she has also won awards and recognition in multiple categories.

Bushnell’s official Key Club board headshot.

When asked how the election worked, Bushnell responded, “Normally, candidates for international office run at International Convention (ICON). This year, it was held completely virtual and our voting delegation was the International Council. The I-Council includes our 34 District Governors and 13 International Board members. I was endorsed virtually by my home district to run for IVP [International Vice President], and then provided campaign literature, gave speeches, and answered questions. From endorsement to election, it’s about a three-month process.”

As International Vice President, Bushnell’s responsibilities include communicating with trustees and district governors and providing them training and resources, and coordinating with Kiwanis staff about new initiatives, as well as keeping the social media content updated.

Bushnell, along with other KC board members, at a convention

Bushnell is excited to work on new initiatives, stating that “this year we are really focused on a couple areas. The first is re-evaluating our international partners (other organizations that we team up with to do service) so they better represent the interests of our students. We are also huge on inclusivity and diversity this year. It’s a top priority to put policy in place that ensures Key Club is promoting diversity on every level. We are also looking into a variety of campaigns to increase inclusion with our international districts.”

Bushnell working on a Key Club community service project

Congratulations on your election, Caroline!