Biology Teacher Turned Musician

AP Biology Teacher Mr. Odil creates music videos for his class

Photo by From Mr. Odil's video

A frame from Mr. Odil's music video.

By Emma Gustavsson, Editor-in-Chief

As both staff and students adjust to remote learning, many cope with the shift in different ways. Some teachers try and provide a sense of normalcy while others host special zoom spirit days to engage their students. Mr Odil, the AP Biology teacher, not only hosts spirit days but does much more.

AP Biology students woke up on April 22nd, to see a shorter-than-expected ecology review video. Upon clicking into it, they realized it was a music video, a full length parody of “Ice Ice Baby” meant to review ecology vocabulary for the upcoming test. The class loved the video. “Everyone seems to like them, or they think I’m an idiot and are just too nice to say it,” said Odil regarding the response to his videos, continuing on to say, “I have heard from people I haven’t talked to in years because of this video. That has been pretty cool.”

I love music and don’t always have a good outlet for that. Doing these songs gives me an opportunity to add music back into what I do.

Mr. Odil

The quality of the music video is notable as it is written, produced, and filmed by Odil himself. “The songwriting is probably the quickest part. Recording and video production takes the most time . . . All told, [I] probably [took] 5-6 hours on this one,” said Odil. This isn’t the first music video Mr Odil has created for his AP Biology class, but this is the one with the most traction. His other music titles include songs about DNA replication set to “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish and “Vacation” by Dirty Heads.

Mr Odil loves making these songs as much as his students enjoy watching them. “I love music and don’t always have a good outlet for that. Doing these songs gives me an opportunity to add music back into what I do,”

Watch his video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10B7GBJdyNPtPlcZi-F6kSGwbTqCBBFuc/view?ts=5e9fda90