How long do we have to stay at home?

By Kyle Ketchell, Assistant Editor

In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, Governor Jared Polis has signed an executive stay-at-home order requiring Colorado citizens to self-quarantine until April 26th. The order, effective March 26th, asks citizens to stay at home unless they need to go out for an essential purpose.

What qualifies as Essential?

• Getting essential medical care, supplies, and equipment
  • Getting food and supplies for yourself or others in your household
  • Caring for vulnerable people outside your household
  • Outdoor recreation
  • Working for an essential business

What about Businesses?

• Healthcare Operations
  • Critical Infrastructure and Manufacturing
  • Critical Retail
  • News Media
  • Financial Institutions
  • Homeless Shelters, Food banks, Humane services
  • Critical Government Functions

When Will School Reopen?

As of April 17th, Lewis Palmer School District 38 is following other Pikes Peak area school districts, and is scheduled to resume regular in-person learning on May 1, 2020. However, D38 Superintendent Dr. KC Somers is meeting with other superintendents around the Pikes Peak region to determine if the online learning system needs to be extended to the end of the school year.

Denver area schools are officially closed to in-person learning for the remainder of the school year, and will reopen for the fall semester of the 2020-2021 school year. This decision follows the unofficial recommendation of Colorado and United States public health officials.

The reason behind limiting interpersonal contact is a concept referred to as ‘Flattening the Curve.’ The world has a maximum medical capacity of COVID-19 cases that it can handle at a time. While many around the world would rather everyone get infected now, and get the pandemic over with sooner, rather than later, by staying at home, practicing safe social distancing, and limiting the spread of the corona virus, we can save more lives over a longer period of time. We can ‘Flatten the Curve’ by keeping the number of COVID-19 infections lower, and allow hospitals to treat every patient, rather than deciding who gets access to scarce medical resources.

Want to learn more about what the district is doing in the mean time? Check out our Q&A session with the PRHS Administrators! https://prhsbeartruth.org/3795/features/the-future-in-online-learning-questions-and-answers-with-the-prhs-administration/